According to YouTube statistics, people watch over a billion hours of video on the platform every day, and over 400 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute. Proof that Google's video platform has now become essential.
But if you too regularly watch videos on YouTube, you will no doubt be pleased to learn that the service is full of (sometimes subtle) features that make it even more fun to use.
Here are 10 cool features of YouTube that you will certainly not be able to do without!
1. Keyboard shortcuts
If you like to manipulate the keys on your keyboard, well be aware that there are several keyboard shortcuts built into YouTube that allow you to control various features. Here are a few examples:
– The numbers from 0 to 9 : Tapping on a number between 1 and 9 allows you to advance by a certain percentage in the video. For example, if you press 3, the video changes to 30% and if you press 7, it changes to 70%. Pressing 0 restarts the video (0%).
– Shift + n goes to the next video in the playlist.
– Shift + p skips to the previous video in the playlist.
– Shift + <will decrease the playback speed.
– Shift +> will increase the reading speed.
– F activates or deactivates full screen mode.
– Esc allows you to exit full screen mode.
– M activates / deactivates mute.
– The left arrow rewinds the video by 5 seconds.
– The right arrow fast forward the video by 5 seconds.
– Up arrow increases volume by 5%
– The down arrow decreases the volume by 5%
– L fast forward 10 seconds
– J rewinds the video for 10 seconds
– K (or the space bar ) plays or pauses the video.
2. Change the size and resolution of the video
For every video on YouTube, there are several quality and size options to choose from. Depending on the camera used to record the video, you can watch it at a resolution ranging from 144p to 8K. All these options are accessible via the icons at the bottom right of the video.
3. Play video at different speeds
YouTube allows you to play its videos at different speeds. To do this, simply click on the “ Parameters ” button then select “ Speed ”. From there you will have a choice of x0.25, x0.5, x0.75, normal, x1.25, and x1.5.
4. Share a video from a certain playback level
Have you ever wanted to share a video from a specific point in time during playback? Well, YouTube allows you to share a URL that will play the video whenever you want. To do this, all you need to do is right click on the video and select " Copy video url from this clip ". You can also share a video from a specific point in time by clicking on the “ Share ” button, then selecting “ Start at… ”. All you have to do is specify the moment and copy the generated URL.
5. Add “Watch Later” Videos
Sometimes you see an interesting video on YouTube but you don't have time to watch it immediately, because you're at work, for example. In this case, YouTube allows you to save the video in the “ Watch Later ” playlist for viewing when you get out of work.
All you have to do is click on the clock icon on the video thumbnail. Or if the video is open, you can click on the “Add to” icon (represented by three lines and the + sign) below the video. Then all you have to do is check the box " To watch later " and you're done.
6. Watch a video with subtitles
On YouTube, there are millions of videos that have auto captioning functionality, including automatic translation. To activate the subtitles, press the “ Settings ” icon, then activate the subtitles, or automatic translation when available.
7. See the transcript of a video
As soon as a video is uploaded to YouTube, it is automatically transcribed. Yes Yes ! The proof is that you can display the transcript of any video by clicking on the “ … ” button under the playback window on the right, then on the “ Open the“ transcription ”tab” button. The transcript of the video will then appear on the right, next to the playback window.
8. YouTube for kids
YouTube has created a spin-off platform especially for toddlers. This version of YouTube for kids is called YouTube Kids , and it has kid-friendly, sometimes interactive content. YouTube Kids is available on Android and iOS.
9. Activate the dark theme
YouTube on desktop now offers a dark theme for those who don't like having too much white on their screen. This feature has the advantage of reducing glare on your computer when browsing YouTube. To activate it, you must go to the Account menu , in the top right corner, and activate the Dark theme. You can always come back to the same place to turn it off.
10. Buy and rent movies on YouTube
In case you didn't know, YouTube has a marketplace where you can buy or rent movies. There you can access award-winning films, new releases, and even films still in theaters.