Nintendo is a major player in video games. A Japanese company that has marked millions of players with several cult consoles, as well the Gamecube as the Nintendo 64, the Gameboy or the SNES. Not to mention its exclusive licenses which largely contribute to its success, including Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., Kirby, Pikmin, etc. If Nintendo has struggled to make a place for itself with the Wii U, the company is crushing everything in its path with the Switch . A home console but also nomadic, its greatest strength, and excellent proposals: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Animal Crossing New Horizons…
A success that is confirmed on its land, in Japan, since the Nintendo Switch has largely crushed the competition in Japan.
Figures that do not lie, revealed by the Japanese magazine Famitsu ( which had unveiled its personal top 20 of 2020 ).
Only one game in Famitsu's ranking hasn't released on Nintendo Switch
Sony has been out of control for a while, focusing mainly on the West. Nintendo dominates Japan, one of the major video game countries, with its Switch. Famitsu explains that 87% of the consoles sold in 2020 were those of the Japanese manufacturer, for 6 million copies sold . Nintendo also saw 16.4% growth between 2019 and 2020 , further evidence that the pandemic has not had an effect on the video game market.
But which games were the best-selling games in Japan in 2020? Famitsu unveils the roster and, unsurprisingly, nine Switch games occupy this ranking . The only exception (also Japanese), the remake of Final Fantasy 7 on PlayStation 4 in fourth position. Animal Crossing New Horizons, a real phenomenon when it was released in full containment, dominated sales for 2020. A great achievement for Nintendo.
- Animal Crossing New Horizons on Nintendo Switch: 6,378,108 copies
- Ring Fit Adventure on Nintendo Switch: 1,591,366 copies
- Momotaro Dentetsu Show Heisei Reiwa mo Teiban on Nintendo Switch: 1,233,023 copies
- Final Fantasy 7 remake on PlayStation 4: 949,379 copies
- Pokémon Sword and Shield on Nintendo Switch: 892,456 copies
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on Nintendo Switch: 798,174 copies
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on Nintendo Switch: 560,122 copies
- Minecraft on Nintendo Switch: 556,982 copies
- 51 Worldwide Games on Nintendo Switch: 519,649 copies
- Super Mario 3D All Stars on Nintendo Switch: 492,620 copies