How do you choose the best electric tumble dryer? What functions and features should the right tumble dryer have for you? Read our guide and choose informed.
Although not a staple, a tumble dryer will make your work at home a lot easier, and because time is precious, any home appliance that can save you time and energy is more than welcome. A tumble dryer promises quick drying of any type of material .
Once you remove the clothes from the appliance, they will be ready to wear . It is a convenient and very economical option in terms of time. So how do you choose the best tumble dryer?
You certainly know that it takes hours for a coat to dry, even if it has been squeezed very well, and the winter can even last a few days. It's true that you don't sit next to clothes until they dry, but you still spend a lot of time hanging clothes to dry, plus you won't be able to wear the clothes you want until they're completely dry.
The best tumble dryer eliminates these problems. Being very similar in appearance to a washing machine, it is very easy to use and it can't help but fit you well.
The best tumble dryer: how to choose
The good part is you have a choice. Several models and variations of tumble dryers have already appeared on the market, in addition to those integrated in the washing machine-tumble dryer couple. As mentioned above, a clothes dryer of this type can be very useful in a household, but only if it is chosen correctly , so that it fits primarily the needs of your family.
Because there are so many types, the choice can be quite difficult, and a bad investment will affect both you and your family. How can you choose the best tumble dryer for you? What are some things to keep in mind? How to differentiate one dryer from another.
We recommend that you consult a shopping guide like this one to find out the answers to the above questions and to be able to make the best decision. In your choice take into account the following important aspects.
Depending on the method of drying clothes, tumble dryers can be divided into two main types: condensing or draining . While condensation dryers are more popular than exhaust dryers, the latter are more effective .
The tumble dryer that works by evacuation is a bit more inconvenient to place because it comes bundled with a pipe through which the moist air is removed. It is a more efficient drying option, but it will take up more space , and you may need to consult a specialist to install it. It is also a variant that consumes less electricity.
The condenser dryer, on the other hand, is easy to install and use . The principle of operation is simple. The steam coming out of the clothes is condensed and collected in a water tank. Among the biggest advantages is the fact that it can be put into operation immediately after purchase, and you will be able to quickly find a place in the house, later having the possibility to even reposition it easily .
There are also types of tumble dryers on the market depending on the type of food. It can be gas or electric . In Romania, the vast majority of this type of household appliance operates on electricity. But it is good to remember that regardless of the power supply , the performance will be the same .
The volume of the tumble dryer or its capacity varies from model to model, as is the case with washing machines. Taking this into account has a direct bearing on your family's needs, energy consumption and time. A higher capacity tumble dryer will be able to dry more laundry in a single drying cycle which will save you time and energy resources .
As a general rule, the capacity of the tumble dryer must be greater than that of the washing machine you are using. On the market you can find volume variants between 7 kg and 10 kg . If you have a family of 4-5 people or even more, the best tumble dryer for you is one of 8-10 kg .
One feature that will help you a lot is the load sensor that will warn you if the volume of clothes loaded is too large for the capacity of the car. Of course, it will still be able to work, but it will take longer for the laundry to dry, some may not dry well, energy resources will be more demanding and you risk significantly damaging the dryer. The best tumble dryer has this feature, so check before you buy.
Clothing protection – humidity sensor
The humidity sensor is an aspect that must exist when we talk about the ideal tumble dryer for anyone. It has a dual role. First, warn the appliance when the clothes are ready to dry, which causes the dryer to turn off automatically . This way your clothes do not risk being damaged due to the heat. Secondly, the humidity sensor helps you to reduce your electricity consumption as much as possible , because the dryer will not work if it is not needed.
Tip : try to sort the clothes according to the material before putting them to dry. This will ensure even drying and you will not risk damaging some fabrics.
There are still many models on the market that do not have this humidity sensor but a thermostat . However, this thermostat does not cope well with the process and exposes the fabrics to the danger of damage due to excessive heat. That is why the best tumble dryer is the one with humidity sensor .
The energy class in which this appliance falls is an aspect that will directly affect you. That is why it should not be ignored and it is good to establish in advance what is the minimum energy class in which you want to fit. The most suitable tumble dryer for everyone's needs falls into at least energy class A, following well understood classes A +, A ++, A +++.
You need to keep in mind that a tumble dryer consumes more electricity than a washing machine. Even if it has a higher price, a class A tumble dryer is a better option in the long run.
Another aspect related to comfort is the sound level. You should keep in mind that tumble dryers make quite a lot of noise, which will affect you especially if the dryer is located near the bedrooms. Always check the decibel level it emits. In general, a model that does not exceed 70 dB should not be very annoying.
What functions and programs should the ideal tumble dryer have?
- Charge sensor – informs the user when the appliance is overloaded to ensure optimal drying, low power consumption, and longer dryer life.
- Humidity sensor – informs the appliance when the clothes are dry, and it stops immediately, protecting the clothes and saving energy.
- Lint filter – As with the washing machine, the tumble dryer has a lint filter that needs to be cleaned. Otherwise, major problems can occur, even fires. It is even better if the device has an indicator light for the lint filter. Choose a model that has the lint filter positioned on the outside because access is easier than if it were mounted in the drum.
- Remote control or smartphone control – the most expensive models allow you remote access via remote control or through a special application on your smartphone. You will be able to control functions such as the drying cycle or parameter monitoring.
- Steam system – the best tumble dryer models have a built-in steam system. It is practical for removing odors and reducing wrinkles, which makes the fabric much easier to iron. Steam can also clean clothes.
- Control panel – control panels allow you to set or customize in detail the operation of the tumble dryer. In the case of touch panels, you can even save your preferences without having to reset the appliance at each wash cycle. However, a more advanced control panel is also a more difficult to learn and master control panel. A simpler option is the electric control panel which also offers you a wide range of options.
- Extended rotation cycle – to prevent laundry from creasing, some models have an extended rotation function that allows the tank to rotate continuously, even if the drying cycle and heating system have stopped.
- Various drying cycle – usually any tumble dryer has three different drying cycles: total drying, partial drying, and a combination of the first two. Partial drying retains a certain percentage of humidity, and depending on the manufacturer there are variations on this topic. The most popular, however, are the partial drying cycle for the cabinet or for ironing.
- Drum grille – this grille allows the laundry to dry without starting the spinning process, thus avoiding the formation of creases as much as possible.
- Gentle drying program – a very useful special function for delicate or more sensitive materials such as shirts.
- Mixed program – a totally optional function that allows drying depending on the type of fabric: curtain, linen, clothes, etc.
- Sports program – a special program designed to dry clothing dedicated to sports.
- Jeans program – facilitates quick drying of harder materials that retain water better
- Wool program – although it is not recommended to dry woolen garments in this way to avoid shrinking them, there are still drying programs that make this possible without too much risk.
The price of an ideal tumble dryer
The prices encountered on the market vary depending on the energy class chosen, the novelty and performance of the model, as well as the multitude of functions and programs it offers. The price of a good tumble dryer starts from 1200 lei and can reach up to 2000 lei .
The warranty is 2 years, as in the case of most household appliances. But if you are offered the opportunity to purchase an extra warranty of up to 2 years , it is good to take advantage of it.
The best tumble dryer: recommendations
Taking into account the above tips, analyzing the market offer and buyers' opinions, we still recommend some models of electric tumble dryers that offer an excellent quality / price ratio.
1. Beko DPY8405GXB2 tumble dryer
The innovative Dry & Save technology of BEKO tumble dryers with heat pump is a combination of a condensing dryer and an air conditioner.
DAILY PROGRAM – DAILY WASHING – ensures optimal performance when drying 4 kg of laundry, in just 1 hour .
Baby Protect – This program will allow you to dry your baby's clothes with maximum care and careful control of the climate inside the tub.
See details and price
2. Whirlpool Supreme Dryer HSCX 80420
With Supreme Dryer you have ready-made drying programs depending on the type of fabric or the time you have available.
The friendly LCD display with sophisticated design will lead to a more comfortable use.
Outstanding drying results with "Wool Excellence" technology suitable for drying woolen clothes.
Steam care – Discover the natural power of steam, for a strong and delicate drying.
See details and price
3. Electrolux EDP2074GW3 tumble dryer
With the Delayed start function you can postpone the start of the next cycle so that it ends exactly when you want.
Smart functions, easy to select and control – In addition to having smart functions, this dryer ensures their full accessibility due to the easy-to-use touch controls.
Do you want clothes that are easy to iron? – This dryer rotates in both directions, peels off clothes and prevents tangling, providing less "wrinkled" results.
See details and price
4. Heinner HCD-80B tumble dryer
Heat sensor and humidity sensor – The appliance switches off automatically when the laundry is dry, so the clothes are completely safe and determine the efficient use of the appliance.
Load capacity 8kg – Provides increased flexibility. Ideal for the whole family.
Tub Light – The tub lights up when the door is opened.
Anti-crease – Drum movements are gentle to prevent clothes from creasing.
See details and price
5. Condensing dryer Beko DU7133GA0
AquaWave – The unique contour of the drum and the shape of the blades allow a smooth movement of the laundry during drying, mimicking the natural rhythm of the waves.
Auto Anti-Wrinkle – Laundry ready to be ironed, only good to wear. The anti-crease function will automatically end the drying cycle.
Jeans program – Perfect and homogeneous drying even for thick fabrics.
The program created especially for drying shirts ensures the protection of the fabric and a longer life time.
Load capacity 7 kg – Functionality adapted to the needs of the family.
See details and price